From a Former Army Base to Texas Historical Site

Between 1870 and 1959, the Braeutigam folks bought the former army installation. Johabb Wolfgang Braeutigam had moved from the Kaltenlengsfeld district of Germany, with his folks, and advanced toward Indianola in 1845. He and his significant other chose to settle in Fredericksburg with their 9 youngsters. In 1870, the Braeutigam moved into the former army base, after soldiers deserted it and utilized it as a farm. On 3rd September 1884, Johann Braeutigam was murdered in a theft involving 4 individuals who were after Biergarten’s cash box. The Braeutigam family later sold the property to Fredericksburg City.

Some of the remarkable highlights of the former army base include: the quarters for the post commander which previously acted as the Braeutigam garden, 6 structures of troops’ houses, sutler’s warehouse and store, pastry kitchen with a stove, laundry, emergency military clinic, 3 sets of battalions for enlisted troops, quartermaster’s warehouse, a blacksmith store, and shed-fused stable. The watch house is presently the station’s only surviving structure after it was restored to mirror its underlying design of cut limestone, during the beginning of the 1900s.

In 1936, the former army installation was transformed into a Texas Historical Site. It was recorded under marker 10039, and on 20th January 1980, it was incorporated as one of the Historical destinations in Texas in the National Register. In 1986, the Heritage Federation of Fredericksburg began to rebuild the former army installation as a tourist destination. In 2010, the former Texas Rangers of Historic Landmark Association chose to erect the 3,842-square-meter (more than 41,000 square foot) Heritage Center close to the former army installation, and the City Council of Fredericksburg affirmed the plans. The Center is an instructive affiliation that centers around legacies of the area, such as Texas Rangers, Gillespie district, and the former army installation. The groundbreaking ceremony for the multi-million-dollar venture occurred in October 2011. As of now, the City of Fredericksburg runs the previous army installation giving school visits, pre-booked guided visits, and independently directed strolling visits Tuesday through Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.

Whether you appreciate taking visits around old army bases, love finding out about major armed force establishments, or a Fredericksburg inhabitant curious about your old neighborhood’s history, visiting Fort Martin Scott is something you should consider. The tour’s independently directed nature makes it additionally energizing and allows you to investigate your interest in Fort Martin Scott to the furthest reaches. Please note that the City of Fredericksburg is the only authorized organization responsible for fortress’ issues. No other association has the approval to collect money on behalf of Fort Martin Scott.…

Fort Martin Scott – Brief History

In December 1849, the eighth Military Department named the camp, Fort Martin Scott, after Major Scott, who passed on in the War of Mexico that occurred in 1847. The soldiers who were based at the station began to alternate between a dragoon and an infantry group. When settlers began moving further toward the west, the former army installation lost its importance. Because of this turn of events, armed force overseers proposed that the base be shut, and in 1853, the eighth Military Department facilitated the closure of the fortress.

On 9th May 1847, preceding the establishment of the military base, John Meusebach had driven a crusade to arrange the private settlement between a migration organization from Germany and the Comanche. The understanding was limited to the specific area between rivers Llano and San Saba. The agreement only incorporated the relationship between the Penateka Comanche and the immigrants in the area under the German migration company.

In 1850 an open war almost occurred in Fredericksburg as more white people moved into the locale. On 10th December 1850, there was a gathering between Texas Ranger Captain McGown, Captain Hamilton Merrill of the US Army, Agent John Rollins, translators Jesse Chisholm and John Connor, 6 Caddo, 4 Waco, 12 Comanche, 4 Lipan, 5 Quapaw, and 4 Tawakoni heads. The gathering brought about the exchange and marking of a contract whose target was to diminish open threats in the region. Although the understanding was made near the army base, it was approved in the county of San Saba.

On 25th December 1850, the then General George Brooke gave Governor Peter Hansborough of Texas a copy of the understanding, demonstrating that the arrangement was at this point yet to be passed by the US government, and the segment regarding the Indian people was the only legally binding segment of the agreement.

The understanding put the clans under the jurisdiction of the US government. The US government regulated debtors and trading activities and restricted the trade of alcoholic beverages among the communities. The communities were to maintain harmony with the US government and with one another, and various communities the government thought peaceful. The communities were required to give back all illegally-acquired assets and prisoners and stop carrying out assaults on pioneers and voyagers. It became the clans’ duty to approach the government with any report relating to suspected exercises that may jeopardize the understanding, and help the government recoup runaway slaves. As a gesture of goodwill, the US government would give the clans instructors and metal forgers and create trading posts. The agreement also specified that Christian ministers ought to be permitted to minister to the clans and be permitted to travel unreservedly across the region.

After the Infantry years, the former army installation was home to Texas Rangers, then to the Confederate soldiers. General Philip Sheridan was the man who had previously requested troops from the fourth Cavalry to go to Fort Mountain Scott in September 1886 to protect the region against Indian invasions. At the end of 1886, all the troops had deserted the stronghold. Most of the station’s commandants served in the Civil War, for example, Theodore Fink, Edward Blake, William Steele, William Montgomery, and James Longstreet. Toward the start of the 1880s, the station facilitated the Gillespie County celebration.…

Fort Martin Scott in Fredericksburg

Do you like strolls of pre-Civil War military stations, and finding out about major army bases in the US? If yes, then a visit through Fort Martin Scott is something you should add to your to-do list. Fortress Martin Scott has an intriguing history and has been home to various people, including American officers, Texas Rangers, and the Braeutigam family.

Situated across Gillespie County Law Enforcement Center at 1606 E. Central Avenue, Fredericksburg, Fort Martin Scott is a Texas-based site, and one of the first US Army establishments to be set up in Texas. The fortress comprises a nature trail with wonderful wildflowers and untamed life extending from the northern locale of the stronghold for about 0.5 miles to Barons Creek. The trailhead comprises a bird daze built by the Fredericksburg Rotary Club. The post’s circle trail brings the aggregate length of the path to around 1 mile. At present, the City of Fredericksburg operates the former army installation giving school visits, pre-booked visits with a guide, and independently directed strolling trips Tuesday through Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm. The site also offers independently directed excursions of the site’s quadrangle with interpretive signage. The former army installation does re-enactments two times each year, and the board of trustees meets multiple times each year. The former army base houses one unique battalion building, which has been restored, three-generation army structures, and an old animal dwelling place used in the late 1800s. The former army base was operated by the United States military between 1848 and 1853, to shield wayfarers and foreigners from assaults by Indians on the Fredericksburg-San Antonio Road. However, after some time, the Fredericksburg-based German settlers created a peace agreement with the Comanche Indians, prompting the loss of Fort Martin Scott’s fundamental significance. Texas Rangers also utilized the station as a campground during the military occupation. At the point when the Civil War broke out, the Confederate States officers were stationed at the fortress for a brief period. After the confederate soldiers relinquished the post, the Braeutigam family claimed the fortress and utilized it for cultivating purposes. In 1949, the city of Fredericksburg gained the previous army installation and presently owns the property.

Seven Armed Forces establishments were erected between 1848 to 1849 to ensure the protection of West Texas settlers following the War of Mexico. The military posts included Forts Lincoln, Gates, Graham, Worth, Duncan, Croghan, and Martin Scott. The Martin Scott installation was first established on 5th December 1848, under the name Camp Houston and housed groups H and D, and the First US Infantry under Captain Seth Eastman. It was positioned on Barons Creek, around 3 km (2 miles) southeast of the city of Fredericksburg. The military station before long developed to house an assortment of 21 structures. The soldiers protected the street Fredericksburg to San Antonio and its environs. One of the principal goals of the station was the prevention of attacks against German settlers by Indians. Indians often traded with German settlers. However, their movement into and out of Fredericksburg regularly brought about conflicts. These assaults made it essential to build up security in the zone.…